The Northampton Underground was a railway system which ran in tunnels under the streets of Northampton from 1904 until 1934.
It opened in 1904, immediately following the closure of the horse-drawn tram network that had been in situ since 1881. The Underground was a moderate financial success, never losing money, although never making huge profits either. The electric trains were clean, quick, and efficient, but the lack of lifts or escalators at stations meant a lot of stair-climbing for travellers.
The Northampton Underground system closed in 1934, and all services were replaced by motor-buses. Some of the above-ground station buildings survive today as shops and offices, or even residential buildings. After closure, a number of sections of tunnel were sold to private owners and used to extend cellars and basements, for example, bank vaults. Following the outbreak of World War II in 1939, the remaining tunnels and underground spaces were hurriedly filled with rubble and overspoil from nearby quarries, to prevent the network being discovered and used by the enemy.
Today, little remains of this once-extensive network of tunnels, passages, and subterranean stations, although some traces may be found by the careful observer. This site aims to tell the history of the Underground, and to document those parts which survive intact.