Map of the LineMap of the Line

Home > Map of the Line

Map of the Line: You mayThe online version allows you to click on different parts of the map to see more information about that place. Alternatively you may browse a List of Places.

Map of Line Northampton (Castle) Station

Northampton (Castle) Station

Now known simply as Northampton, this National Rail station is the only survivor of the three stations that once served Northampton. It is built on the site of the former castle, and the only remains, a postern gate, can be seen near the station entrance. Train services are provided by London Midland, Southbound to London (Euston) and Northbound to Birmingham (New Street) and beyond.

Pitsford Reservoir

Pitsford Reservoir

Pitsford Reservoir (also known as Pitsford Water) was built in 1956 to supply the town of Northampton, and is the third-largest in the United Kingdom, with a surface area of 2.85 square miles.

Pitsford Village

Pitsford Village

A small village with many pleasant ironstone buildings including The Griffin public house and Pitsford Hall Weather Station. Nearby is Pitsford Reservoir.

Pitsford Village

Pitsford Village

A small village with many pleasant ironstone buildings including The Griffin public house and Pitsford Hall Weather Station. Nearby is Pitsford Reservoir.

Pitsford and Brampton Station

Pitsford and Brampton Station

The headquarters of the NLR and currently the only station on the line. [ More... ]

Merry Tom Crossing

Merry Tom Crossing

Site of the former level crossing at Merry Tom Lane. Local legends say a huntsman named "Merry Tom" was killed when he tried to jump a nearby stream. Other versions give the name of the horse as "Merry Tom" and suggest it is buried nearby. There is access to the Brampton Valley Way but no car park. Horseriders may only go north from here; the southern section (adjacent to the Railway) is for walkers and cyclists only. It is likely that there will be a small station constructed here, once the line is extended over Bridge 14.

Spratton Station

Spratton Station

Former station on the line, which will be rebuilt by the NLR. It is around 3 miles from Pitsford and Brampton Station; the site is currently used as a car park and picnic area for the Brampton Valley Way.

Brixworth Station

Brixworth Station

Former station on the line, which will be rebuilt by the NLR. It is around 4 miles from Pitsford and Brampton Station; the site is currently derelict but may provide the space for a large maintenance depot in years to come. [ More... ]

Brixworth Station

Brixworth Station

Former station on the line, which will be rebuilt by the NLR. It is around 4 miles from Pitsford and Brampton Station; the site is currently derelict but may provide the space for a large maintenance depot in years to come. [ More... ]

Brixworth Church

Brixworth Church

All Saints' Church was probably built around AD 680 as an outpost for the monastery at Peterborough. Famous for its Romanesque tiled arches and its ring crypt [ More... ]

Hanging Houghton Crossing

Hanging Houghton Crossing

Site of the former level crossing, close to the village of Hanging Houghton. Access is available to the Brampton Valley Way for cyclists, walkers and horseriders, although there is no car park.

Hanging Houghton Crossing

Hanging Houghton Crossing

Site of the former level crossing, close to the village of Hanging Houghton. Access is available to the Brampton Valley Way for cyclists, walkers and horseriders, although there is no car park.

Lamport Station

Lamport Station

Former station on the line. The station building is the only one still in existence on the line and is currently used as a private house. The former Lamport signal box is in use as a Booking Office at Pitsford and Brampton Station.

Lamport Hall

Lamport Hall

A stately home open to the public, the home of the Isham family from 1560 to 1976 and is a fine example of a Grade I Listed House. The 10th Baronet, Sir Charles Isham (1819-1903), is credited with beginning the tradition of garden gnomes in the United Kingdom when he introduced a number of terracotta figures from Germany in the 1840s.

Boughton Crossing

Boughton Crossing

Site of the former level crossing over the old A50 (now A5199). Adjacent to the line once stood the Boughton Cold Store, which has now been demolished. There is now a pub called the Windhover after a local name for the Kestrel. Boughton Crossing will be the southern terminus of the Railway's southern extension, and will remain so for some time as to cross the main road will require large amounts of money and much paperwork.

National Rail (Northampton Loop)

National Rail (Northampton Loop)

A railway loop which branches from the West Coast Main Line at Hanslope Junction and rejoins at Rugby Station. It has two stations, Northampton and Long Buckby.

National Rail (Northampton Loop)

National Rail (Northampton Loop)

A railway loop which branches from the West Coast Main Line at Hanslope Junction and rejoins at Rugby Station. It has two stations, Northampton and Long Buckby.

National Rail (Northampton Loop)

National Rail (Northampton Loop)

A railway loop which branches from the West Coast Main Line at Hanslope Junction and rejoins at Rugby Station. It has two stations, Northampton and Long Buckby.

Chapel Brampton Village

Chapel Brampton Village

This village was once a stopping point on one of the old stagecoach routes; the Spencer Arms public house is a former coaching inn. Known collectively with nearby Church Brampton as The Bramptons.

Chapel Brampton Village

Chapel Brampton Village

This village was once a stopping point on one of the old stagecoach routes; the Spencer Arms public house is a former coaching inn. Known collectively with nearby Church Brampton as The Bramptons.

Brampton Valley Way

Brampton Valley Way

A 14-mile (22.5 km) linear park based on the former trackbed of the Northampton to Market Harborough line. The 13-mile (20.9 km) Northamptonshire section was purchased by Northamptonshire County Council with grant aid from the Countryside Commission in 1987, when work began on developing it as a linear park.

The 1-mile (1.6 km) section north of the county boundary is owned by Leicestershire County Council although Northamptonshire County Council undertake the management of the complete route.

Brampton Valley Way

Brampton Valley Way

A 14-mile (22.5 km) linear park based on the former trackbed of the Northampton to Market Harborough line. The 13-mile (20.9 km) Northamptonshire section was purchased by Northamptonshire County Council with grant aid from the Countryside Commission in 1987, when work began on developing it as a linear park.

The 1-mile (1.6 km) section north of the county boundary is owned by Leicestershire County Council although Northamptonshire County Council undertake the management of the complete route.

Sustrans Cycleway

Sustrans Cycleway

Part of the National Cycle Network (Route 6), it continues from south of Boughton Crossing to the former junction with the Northampton Loop, between Kingsthorpe and King's Heath in Northampton. It is not part of the Brampton Valley Way, but is managed by Sustrans.

When the NLR extends south of Boughton Crossing, Sustrans will release half of the width for the construction of the Railway, with the other half remaining for the footpath and cycleway, as can be seen where the railway runs adjacent to the Brampton Valley Way.

Sustrans Cycleway

Sustrans Cycleway

Part of the National Cycle Network (Route 6), it continues from south of Boughton Crossing to the former junction with the Northampton Loop, between Kingsthorpe and King's Heath in Northampton. It is not part of the Brampton Valley Way, but is managed by Sustrans.

When the NLR extends south of Boughton Crossing, Sustrans will release half of the width for the construction of the Railway, with the other half remaining for the footpath and cycleway, as can be seen where the railway runs adjacent to the Brampton Valley Way.

List of placesList of places

Boughton Crossing
Site of the former level crossing over the old A50 (now A5199). Adjacent to the line once stood the Boughton Cold Store, which has now been demolished. There is now a pub called the Windhover after a local name for the Kestrel. Boughton Crossing will be the southern terminus of the Railway's southern extension, and will remain so for some time as to cross the main road will require large amounts of money and much paperwork.
Web Link: The Windhover at Northants Pub Guide.
Brampton Valley Way
A 14-mile (22.5 km) linear park based on the former trackbed of the Northampton to Market Harborough line. The 13-mile (20.9 km) Northamptonshire section was purchased by Northamptonshire County Council with grant aid from the Countryside Commission in 1987, when work began on developing it as a linear park.
The 1-mile (1.6 km) section north of the county boundary is owned by Leicestershire County Council although Northamptonshire County Council undertake the management of the complete route.
Web Link: Brampton Valley Way at Northamptonshire County Council.
Bridge 11
Blue brick arch bridge which crosses a stream and a former farm access. This is the current southern terminus of passenger services. Track crosses the bridge and continues to the current end of the line at the site of the future Boughton station.
Bridge 13
Steel girder bridge over the River Nene which cost over 50,000 to repair. Similar in design to Bridge 14.
Photo Gallery: Restoration of Bridge 13.
Bridge 14
Steel girder bridge over the River Nene and the current northern terminus of the line. Similar in design to Bridge 13, this bridge will need similar amounts of money and hard work before trains can cross it again.
Brixworth Church
All Saints' Church was probably built around AD 680 as an outpost for the monastery at Peterborough. Famous for its Romanesque tiled arches and its ring crypt.More... ]
Brixworth Station
Former station on the line, which will be rebuilt by the NLR. It is around 4 miles from Pitsford and Brampton Station; the site is currently derelict but may provide the space for a large maintenance depot in years to come.More... ]
Chapel Brampton Village
This village was once a stopping point on one of the old stagecoach routes; the Spencer Arms public house is a former coaching inn. Known collectively with nearby Church Brampton as The Bramptons.
Hanging Houghton Crossing
Site of the former level crossing, close to the village of Hanging Houghton. Access is available to the Brampton Valley Way for cyclists, walkers and horseriders, although there is no car park.
Lamport Hall
A stately home open to the public, the home of the Isham family from 1560 to 1976 and is a fine example of a Grade I Listed House. The 10th Baronet, Sir Charles Isham (1819-1903), is credited with beginning the tradition of garden gnomes in the United Kingdom when he introduced a number of terracotta figures from Germany in the 1840s.
Web Link: Lamport Hall website.
Lamport Station
Former station on the line. The station building is the only one still in existence on the line and is currently used as a private house. The former Lamport signal box is in use as a Booking Office at Pitsford and Brampton Station.
Merry Tom Crossing
Site of the former level crossing at Merry Tom Lane. Local legends say a huntsman named "Merry Tom" was killed when he tried to jump a nearby stream. Other versions give the name of the horse as "Merry Tom" and suggest it is buried nearby. There is access to the Brampton Valley Way but no car park. Horseriders may only go north from here; the southern section (adjacent to the Railway) is for walkers and cyclists only. It is likely that there will be a small station constructed here, once the line is extended over Bridge 14.
Web Link: Merry Tom Crossing location information at Trainspots.
National Rail (Northampton Loop)
A railway loop which branches from the West Coast Main Line at Hanslope Junction and rejoins at Rugby Station. It has two stations, Northampton and Long Buckby.
Northampton (Castle) Station
Now known simply as Northampton, this National Rail station is the only survivor of the three stations that once served Northampton. It is built on the site of the former castle, and the only remains, a postern gate, can be seen near the station entrance. Train services are provided by London Midland, Southbound to London (Euston) and Northbound to Birmingham (New Street) and beyond.
Web Link: Northampton (Castle) Station location information at Trainspots.
Pitsford and Brampton Station
The headquarters of the NLR and currently the only station on the line.More... ]
Web Link: Pitsford and Brampton Station location information at Trainspots.
Pitsford Reservoir
Pitsford Reservoir (also known as Pitsford Water) was built in 1956 to supply the town of Northampton, and is the third-largest in the United Kingdom, with a surface area of 2.85 square miles.
Web Link: Pitsford Water at Wikipedia.
Pitsford Village
A small village with many pleasant ironstone buildings including The Griffin public house and Pitsford Hall Weather Station. Nearby is Pitsford Reservoir.
Web Links: The Griffin at Northants Pub Guide. Pitsford Hall Weather Station.
Spratton Station
Former station on the line, which will be rebuilt by the NLR. It is around 3 miles from Pitsford and Brampton Station; the site is currently used as a car park and picnic area for the Brampton Valley Way.
Sustrans Cycleway:
Part of the National Cycle Network (Route 6), it continues from south of Boughton Crossing to the former junction with the National Rail (Northampton Loop), between Kingsthorpe and King's Heath in Northampton. It is not part of the Brampton Valley Way, but is managed by Sustrans.
When the NLR extends south of Boughton Crossing, Sustrans will release half of the width for the construction of the Railway, with the other half remaining for the footpath and cycleway, as can be seen where the railway runs adjacent to the Brampton Valley Way.

Return to top